Sunday, December 3, 2017

It's All About the People

There are many different reasons you sign up for and compete in races. It's probably different for all of us actually. Some will claim it's just for the t-shirt, a silent shout out every time they proudly wear their hard earned apparel in public. Even a quick reminder every time the laundry is done, reminiscing about their glorious battle on the race course. Other keep their race bibs, strung across the wall displayed like a nation's proud flag. I've seen maps with strings drawing medals to the location of races even (something I tried, but never found a solid way to get this done).




I've tried to find what draws me back time after time. Through the aching muscles, cramping feet, sweat soaked running clothes. For me it was always the start of the race that I could not recreate in any sport or event that I've taken part in during the years. My typical nature is not outgoing by any means, but I feel comfortable at the start of the race speaking with complete strangers. My wife would be so proud of me, a wide grin across my face, greeting all competitors and stoked that we are half an hour out from the start of the race. My wife is the relationship person, the communicator, the conversation starter and continuer usually. Give me 20 miles, half a dozen gu's and a handheld water bottle and I'll be set. No music, texting, or snapchat needed...just myself and some silence.





As I've aged, life has happened. Friends have moved away, had families, moved back again, and lost loved ones at unexpected times. This weekend I attended a funeral for a friends father, taken much earlier than he should have been, he was a rock for his children and other family members. He was a avid outdoorsman, cyclist, and sport enthusiast (primarily lacrosse, which his children all excelled at). I only had the honor of meeting and spending a short amount of time with him before this point, and it was evident from all the stories told that this is one person that brightened the lives of every person he was around.

We have great people that come into our lives and we must be bold enough not to miss these opportunities to learn from them and be a part of their lives. Don't miss these opportunities to make new friendships, even if they are short lived. You may be the one leading others. I hope you all can find your race start in your own way.

Remember, it's all about the people.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's All About the People

There are many different reasons you sign up for and compete in races. It's probably different for all of us actually. Some will claim i...